Tuesday, October 7, 2014

A Child Called "It"

Title: A Child Called "It"
Author:Dave Pelzer
Pages:0-40
Week:10/5/14
Prompt:Writing Techniques (Mood)

           The writing techniques that the author uses helps to change the readers feeling on the book to create a more dramatic or different atmosphere, this technique is called mood. In the story this is shown in countless occasions. In this book it talks about Dave Pelzers struggle in life, he endured physical abuse for many years from his mother who thought of it as a game. He would be teased in school because his mother would like to humiliate him in every possible way.  Making him wear shirts and shorts that should have been thrown to the trash years ago. She would make him lunch with leftover food that not even the dog would eat. He wouldn't get to eat everyday he would get to eat only when his mother let him eat the leftover scraps. This is just the beginning of Davids horrible start in life.

In this book "A Child Called"IT""  the mood has a big impact the story greatly. Without mood you would be emotionless throughout the story. This story is full of emotions very sad emotions especially. A few moments where I felt really bad , a moment that you would need emotions to actually get it. "“You’ve made my life a living hell!” she sneered. “Now it’s  time I showed you what hell is like!” Gripping my arm, Mother  held it in the orange blue flame. My skin seemed to explode from the heat. I could smell the scorched hairs from my burnt arm.". This part was very emotional you wouldn't imagine a mother burning her own sons hand. If you didn't have mood you wouldn't have any thoughts about this or even any feelings. Overall Mood is important because this book is all about emotion and understanding how the author felt through it.

Another part where I thought that mood was incorporated. Was when Davids mother made him eat his own barf This book is has one of the best starting and hope also to have a good ending. "I sat on a chair and picked the clumps of hot dogs out of the  bowl with my hand. Globs of thick saliva slipped through my  fingers, as I dropped it in my mouth. As I tried to swallow, I began to whimper.". This shows that the mood in the story is sad because davids mother mad him eat his barf. What this made me feel was disgust but also I felt bad for David because
he had to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment